Thankfully, for once I’m “on trend.” I’ve caught the Marie Kondo, Tidying Up bug. Ever since opening my Help To Buy ISA account, I’ve been interested in homes, interior design and minimal living. I’ve had the same room for over 15 years and in that time I’ve accumulated a lot of stuff; not necessarily many objects, but a lot of sentimental items. It’s quite a big thing to me so I thought I’d start writing posts about it; today’s: decluttering my freebie collection. Enjoy!
The Frugal Frenchie
I had an utter obsession with collecting freebies in my young to mid-teens. The idea of getting products from expensive brands for free just seemed like a no brainer to me. Since then I have accumulated 2 shoe boxes full of items, from sticky notes, to protein to makeup. I figured that it’s not worth keeping all of them now and some may even be out of date so it’s time for a declutter.
I’m going to give a quick summary of some of the contents and everything that I don’t keep and is still usable, I shall be giving to charity or a homeless shelter.
If you go to Benefit counters, they often have samples to spare, especially when you try the item on yourself. I did exploit this at the time especially as I didn’t buy makeup myself.
Here are a few items I have.
- Total Moisture facial cream
- Triple Performing facial emulsion x2
- Pore-fessional cream x2
- Pore-fessional balm
- It’s Potent eye cream x3
- Air Patrol eye primer
- They’re Real [makeup] remover
- Hello Flawless foundation
- So Radiant Refined Finish Facial Polish exfoliator
If you look at Vichy’s retail prices, it’s enough to make you gulp. They’re very expensive. Consequently, they send out a lot of samples to try and prove themselves worthy of their money.
In my collection are:
- Idealia Skin Sleep Recover night gel-balm x 3 tube and 2 sample
- Idealia Smoothing and illuminating cream x 1 tube and 1 sample
- Liftactiv Serum 10 for eyes and lashes x2
- Liftactiv Serum 10 Youth enhancing serum x2
- Aqualia Thermal Hydrating Serum x2
- Normaderm Anti-blemish care
I collected these for the same reason as Vichy- they are so expensive! I once had a £20 coupon so ran to Boots but even then, some items were over £50…. nope.
- Redermic anti-ageing corrective concentrate x2
- Effaclar Duo corrective anti-imperfections x3
- Effaclar purifying foaming gel for oily sensitive skin
- Toleriane Ultura sensitive skincare cream x2
- Toleriane Ultra Fluide intense soothing fluid for face and eyes x2
- Yves Rocher: Due to Brexit, they will no longer be accepting orders from the UK, however, this French brand always gives free samples on every purchase. My mum has loads and my Grandma always gives them to me when I visit. I have 11 hydrating gel creme samples and 1 reparation serum.
- Bare minerals: Blemish remedy powder foundation and brush x2, their original foundation powder and two of their complexion rescue tinted hydrating gel cream
- Estee Lauder, I have a loooooaaaaaddddd of these. I’ve had 4 samples of their Double Wear Foundation (all of which lasted me about 3 months each), I have 3 idealist skincare illuminators, 3 invisible fluid makeup and 4 Re-Nutrive ultimate radiance makeup.
- I have also had loads of mascaras which unfortunately dried out so I’ve never chucked most; they included 3 MAC ones, two Channel, a MaxFactor, Urban Decay and Avon one.
- I have also had loads of perfumes but I gave up quickly with those, it’s always the peel off stickers rather than samples so I just thought it was a waste. I did get some tube samples though including a Nicki Minaj one and Modern House by Estee Lauder.
Here’s what I’m keeping:
Here’s what I’m donating/giving to friends:
Let me know how your decluttering is going if you’ve been inspired too; I love hearing your experiences!